Tuesday, November 16, 2004

CTA Customer Service: "Oxymorons on Parade"

A personal thank-you to the CTA corporate for living up to the reputation of being the bumbling, money-grubbing imbeciles the press has made you out to be.

This morning as usual, I swooshed into the Irving Park Brown Line station and briskly swiped my CTA "Plus Card" against the turnstile...it didn't work. Patiently, I pressed it against the bright disk reader again. Nada. Still calm, I stepped over to give the other machine a try. *SNAP* and my "Hey, I'll never be a nickel short again hero" broke into 2 neat halves.

Bewildered, I stared quizzically at the station manager looking on from afar. He nicely explained to me "Oh, this happens all the time...those cards are plastic and once the cold hits they snap like twigs." I was then handed a card to call for a replacement card and let through the gate gratis.

This was to be the nicest part of my encounter.

Upon calling the number, I weaved my way through 55 different recorded steps "If you know the name of the station on fire, please PRESS 10" and then stewed on hold for 20min. As last a "customer service" representative answered my call. They would replace and send me a new card, but at cost to me. I tried to reason with her "Look, your product is defective. Any other company would send me a replacement and apologize profusely for my inconvenience."

She finally offered to provide me an address I could send (again, at cost to me) my card to have it independently tested to determine if the crack was the CTA's fault or mine. If it was their fault, I could then fill out a form to have them reimburse me for the $5 cost of the card.

It's a tossup as to which concept I've having more difficulty grasping:
A. You have to go through 10 steps to report a station on fire.
B. There is an guy out there with nothing better to do than run tests on plastic train cards.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been through 3 cards in 9 months, and I swear I am gentle on them!! Whoever designed these cards for CTA should be held responsible for making usable cards for.. well.. Chicago! Even being the green-thinking urbanist that I am, it is hard to be a fan of the CTA with this kind of customer support experience.

1:42 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

true religion outlet, hogan outlet, michael kors, air max, nike air force, polo lacoste, michael kors outlet, nike air max, chanel handbags, vans pas cher, sac hermes, ray ban uk, ray ban pas cher, guess pas cher, oakley pas cher, nike tn, polo ralph lauren, nike blazer pas cher, kate spade, coach outlet, hollister uk, louboutin pas cher, kate spade outlet, new balance, timberland pas cher, coach outlet store online, nike roshe, jordan pas cher, longchamp pas cher, michael kors, north face, sac vanessa bruno, lululemon canada, hollister pas cher, coach outlet, converse pas cher, burberry pas cher, north face uk, true religion outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, coach purses, michael kors pas cher, true religion outlet, true religion jeans, nike free run

1:20 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mac cosmetics, instyler, herve leger, vans outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, nike roshe run, hollister clothing, celine handbags, reebok outlet, nike air max uk, baseball bats, nfl jerseys, p90x workout, babyliss, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, mont blanc pens, hollister, insanity workout, nike roshe run uk, jimmy choo outlet, nike air max uk, north face outlet, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, nike trainers uk, new balance shoes, ralph lauren uk, longchamp uk, bottega veneta, nike huaraches, beats by dre, hermes belt, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti outlet, north face outlet, wedding dresses, chi flat iron, soccer jerseys, lululemon, valentino shoes, nike free uk, ghd hair, mcm handbags

1:26 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors handbags, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, links of london, michael kors outlet online, supra shoes, converse outlet, pandora uk, ugg uk, ugg, ugg pas cher, converse, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, replica watches, gucci, juicy couture outlet, ray ban, louboutin, timberland boots, lancel, doke gabbana, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, karen millen uk, pandora charms, hollister, nike air max, swarovski, wedding dresses, hollister, ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, louis vuitton, oakley, vans, toms shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, marc jacobs

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

> Listed on 
BlogShares